Sunday, October 21, 2012

A little Sunday singalong ...


 (Above: sweet Norman Rockwell, back in the day when government was okay, and a part of the community. Click to enlarge).

Thanks to Jonathan Freedland's The Republicans: Behind the Barricades (outside the NYRB paywall at the time of writing), the pond became aware of country singer Lane Turner's splendid lyrics:

I built it. 
A business I could call my own. 
I worked it. 
No boss except the one at home. 
I built it. 
With my own two working hands. 
I built it. 
With no help from Uncle Sam.

Frankly it inspired the pond, though it seems the full lyrics have yet to hit the intertubes, just a brief sound checking version on YouTube.

While it's still in development, will Lane Turner accept a few suggestions, with the help of Mr Friedland?

I delivered it
On the private road that stopped at my gate
I flew it
On the private airport on the back of my one acre block
I defended it
With my private army of mercenaries and assassins
I took a break from it
In my very own private park (no loafers or losers allowed)
I surfed it
On my privileged private beach (see that sign and barbed wire scum)
I lived it
In my special gated community (get lost tossers)
I posted it
To tell all you no-hopers in the sticks it was time to use email instead of expecting Saturday services
I berated my daddy for taking it
The government welfare relief he got when he came from Mexico
I sang it
In an arena built with $80 million of city and county bonds
I staged it
The convention, with a boondoggle from the federal Presidential Election Campaign Fund
I secured it
With $50 million in federal money for security
And best of all 
I wanked it
In my very own anti-government song.

Community?

Getting together to help each other along?

Government as an expression of a society planning infrastructure and services for the future?

Fat chance. And they wonder why the United States is fucked and heading on down that road to disintegration ...

Yep, Lane Turner always wears a big-brimmed hat, presumably to hide the absence of a working brain (you can wiki him here).

Does anyone understand that they're talking about electing politicians to run a government, not to abolish it?

If they abolished government, who would Republicans deploy to interfere with the rights, minds, and bodies of women?

If they abolished government, what would America do with all those panhandling, dime-scrounging, pork-barreling Republicans and their commentariat supporters? In the land of the ear mark for farmers, manufacturers, and anybody else who can get the ear of their elected boondogling local representative ...  (not to mention all the paws stuck out in Wall Street).

Oh sure, same goes for the Democrats, but that's the whole bloody point ...

Stupid is as stupid sings.

What a nation of scofflaws. Who is willing to bet government would be smaller if the Mittster gets his paws on it? George Bush and Ronald Reagan anyone?

(Below: but at least there are still who know how to draw a cover. Which is more than can be said about Lane Turner singing a song. Click to enlarge).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments older than two days are moderated and there will be a delay in publishing them.